We crafters live by a different calendar – we often think about Christmas in July! We have to. When it comes to holiday gifting, as soon as we see school buses on the morning roads, we know it’s time to get serious about our needle felting projects.
My needle felted creations are anticipated and hoped for when it comes to gift-giving – regardless of the occasion. Many of you have probably started on your list, actually picking out the wool or just planning out materials. Others are panicked by these words and haven’t started at all – not to worry; I’m here to help!
Here are five golden tips to help you get a jump on the holiday season:
- Since you are in the unique position to understand how much time and effort needle felting takes, get your projects planned, organized, and made before your friends realize the holiday season is approaching. You will also be able to take advantage of end-of-summer sales and perhaps find quantity discounts.
- Simplify your life by making several of one item. Come up with a theme for the season – like Llama or bears – and give one to everyone on your list. This will not only help focus your efforts but will eliminate sleepless nights trying to come up with the perfect creation for your hairdresser.
- Let it “slip” to your friends that you’ve already started your needle felting for the holidays and encourage them to get their requests in soon! We all have “that friend” who waits until after Thanksgiving to reach out, but you may be able to evoke a sense of urgency. Mention that you just received your latest shipment of Romney Wool and you can’t wait to use it. Peer pressure is a beautiful thing!
- Let’s face it; it’s hard to make crafts for other crafters. Sure, they always appreciate the work that goes into the finished product, but secretly, wouldn’t all of us rather make it ourselves? Skip making a gift for her and instead plan to purchase a needle felting kit to get her started on a new addiction.
- For the person who drools every time you show her your latest creation, consider giving lessons. She’ll love the sentiment and feel buoyed by your faith that she too can create magic from wool and felting needles. Plus, you now have more time for your last-minute friends!
With some preparation, you will have a joyful holiday season basking in the delight of recipients from your needle felted animals. Besides, soon we will have to move on to Valentine’s Day!