For many of us, the hustle and bustle of the holiday season can be tough. Whether you’ll be spending the time surrounded by people or in quiet solitude, this time of year is emotional for everyone in their own way.
It probably won’t surprise you that I turn to needle felting to reduce stress and find my center. I find the process of losing myself in my art to be incredibly therapeutic, and even my family knows when I need to head to the studio!
If you are looking for a way to combat the stress of the holidays or find a project for the winter months, look no further! What better time to get your hands in beautiful wool than when the temps dive?
If you need further convincing to pick up a new needle felting project to get you through the holidays, here are my top five reasons:
- Needle felting and craft projects have meditative properties. Researchers are proving what crafters have always known, that becoming immersed in your chosen craft puts you in a state similar to if you were meditating. Even a few minutes of doing something you love can have restorative properties – something we all need this time of year!
- Kids can learn needle felting. If you’re looking for something to occupy children during their visit, suggest some craft time at the family table. There is something about the community created when people gather in a shared purpose. Kids can learn to needle felt, plus they will enjoy making animals!
- Needle felting is a great way to beat the blues. I recognize that not everyone is in a “swarm” of people during the holidays – for some, it’s a solitary time. Needle felting has always been grounding for me and a source of joy and accomplishment – especially when I’m holding the finished animal! Pick up a needle felting project and create something from scratch this season.
- Get a good night’s sleep. No, I’m not recommending you take your needles to bed, but I am suggesting you use needle felting to wind down at night so you can fall asleep. So often we fall into bed after a big day, and our minds are still going 100 mph! Allowing yourself even a few minutes to decompress with your latest needle felting project will quiet your mind and let you get the rest you need.
- Build your confidence. Sometimes we just need something that is uniquely our own. Picking up a new hobby is often just the thing to increase our confidence and remind ourselves that we still have so much to learn and do in this great life. If you need a boost of confidence this holiday season, challenge yourself with a new project!
When you find you are ready to take your needle felting to the next level, join us for The Bear Creek Needle Felting Academy. You’ll learn the latest techniques and have the support of a thriving community!